By Scott Silberstein
Here is the definitive list of the 10 best emojis (in no particular order), what they mean, and when to use them.
2. Yikes – basically that face you make when your roommate asks what you’re doing this weekend but you already made plans without them. Use sparingly, this personal favorite of mine can get out of hand quickly.
2. Fire – a term used for when something is really good, or actually on fire.Use in above situations, especially when it’s “lit”.
3. Chicken Leg– can be used in the broader sense to represent any food, or chicken specifically. Best used at lunch or dinner.
4. 100 – popularized by the phrase “I keep it 100” this emoji symbolizes the best, the cream of the crop, a 100% effort.
5. The Sailboat – Everyone knows the best way to travel is by boat, the scenery is unmatched by any other. Use this whenever you want to escape a boring conversation.
6. The Disappointment – to express disappointment or shame of oneself or others. Use whenever your faith in humanity is dwindling.
7. The Flag – this is the flag of South Africa, you can use whatever flag you like, but this one is my personal favorite. Use to express patriotism, or to be difficult when telling friends where you are traveling.
8. Love Eyes – used to express significant feelings towards a person, place, or thing. Important to note this emoji has never been used in relation to the DC Metro.
9. Money on my Mind – show others your appreciation for money through this little guy. Best used on payday — make it rain emojis.
10. The Dude – sunglasses make anything cooler – fact. Best used when accompanying an impressive feat, like scoring courtside Wizard tickets.
Now let’s use them in a sample conversation:
David: “Hey Scott, want to get KFC for dinner tonight?”
Translation: “Yikes. It disappoints me that you like that restaurant. Let’s go to Nando’s Peri Peri instead. They have delicious flame grilled chicken with a South African flair. Every time you eat there they give you coupons, so you can save money (which is cool). Nando’s keeps it 100, I love it there. Every time I eat Nando’s Peri Peri chicken feels like sailing off into the sunset.”
*This is not a paid promotion of Nando’s Peri Peri